Britt's Place

Just a place for me to work Ex out of my system.

Friday, September 17

Ode to My Licensed Professional

I love my therapist. I really do. She has been my therapist for almost three years and has helped me through some serious stuff. I have become such a better person with her help. I was constantly bombarded with the idea that therapy is overrated and is nothing but a crutch...wait a minute. Who am I trying to protect? Ex was the one that always bombarded me.

But I've always rejected that idea. Thank goodness, because I need all the help I can to get through this crap.

I learned during my last session that what upsets me even more than Her is the blatant lack of respect Ex showed me by bringing Her in his life without giving our relationship closure. This man that supposedly loves me showed such lack of humanity toward me.

Everytime he would do something totally rude, and I would talk to him about showing me respect, he would say that I need to look inside myself -- stop looking to him for things like respect. I chuckle looking back at the idiocy of Ex's logic.

Ironically, he ended up being right. I learned during my session that I need figure out why I think I deserve someone who would turn his disrespectful actions into my problem. I need to honor my own humanity enough to weed people like him out of my environment.

Of course it's a bit more complicated than that. For as many narcissistic, hurtful things that he's done, Ex has also been fantastic and supportive in other ways. My therapist reminded me that it's okay to be a little roller coaster-y now because of this duality and because I'm going through a break-up I didn't want, damn it!

I really appreciate my therapist and the role therapy has played in my life. I don't trust Ex anymore, but I have never doubted that my therapist has always had my best interest at heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home